(New York Times) — When the Vienna Philharmonic resumed concerts at the Musikverein in June, after shutting down for three months, it emerged from its longest period of silence in history.
Even near the end of World War II, the orchestra returned to the stage within a month of Austria’s liberation by Soviet troops in April 1945 — albeit to another hall, the Wiener Konzerthaus. The Musikverein, which had been slightly damaged by bombing, reopened that September.
With surprisingly few interruptions over the past 150 years, it is in the Great or “Golden Hall” that the Philharmonic has made history, whether performing Johann Strauss or John Williams. Here are some highlights. […]